Emmett Sanchez Suffers Major Injuries in Selma Truck Accident on Highway 9 Near Mountain View Avenue
Selma, California (May 12, 2020) – Emmett Sanchez, 5, of Delhi, was seriously injured Sunday afternoon in a fatal crash involving multiple vehicles in Selma.
At about 1: 20 p.m. Sunday, May 10, officers responded to northbound Highway 99, just south of Mountain View Avenue in a construction zone, for a report of a six-car accident that included a big rig.
Authorities said the big rig hauling a trailer full of fruit was approaching traffic congestion on the highway when its driver failed to stop in time and crashed into five other vehicles. The force of the impact caused the big rig to catch fire.
Among the fifteen people involved in the mishap, ten were transported to Community Regional Medical Center with major to moderate injuries.
The driver of a 1990 Toyota pickup, Guillermo Sotelo Jr., 29, of Fresno, and four passengers, Guillermo Sotelo Sr., 54; Miguel Sotelo, 4; and Jordan Sotelo, 2, were all treated at the scene. All occupants were from Fresno.
The driver of a 2004 Lincoln Navigator, Alejandro Sanchez, 17, of Delhi, and passenger, Araceli Hernandez, 32, both sustained moderate injuries. Three other passengers in the Navigator, Jesus Sanchez, 14; Alejandro Sanchez Jr., 38; and Emmett Sanchez, 5, all suffered major injuries. All the passengers were from Delhi.
An 11-year-old Delhi girl, who was also a passenger in the Navigator, was pronounced dead at the scene. Her name was withheld pending notification of next of kin.
The driver of a 2017 GMC van, Jose Cardenas, 61, of Kingsburg, suffered minor injuries. The driver of a 2020 Infinity QX60, Katina Hulse, 47, of Point, Texas, sustained major injuries, and passenger, Lisa Jones, 57, also of Point, had moderate injuries.
The driver of a Ford pickup, Roberto Morales, 44, of Corcoran, was uninjured in the crash.
The driver of the big rig, Deudiel Ramirez, 60, of Dinuba, remained at the scene and was cooperating with the police. Alcohol or drugs were not considered a factor in the accident.
Northbound Highway 99 was closed following the crash. Motorists were being diverted at Floral Avenue.
An investigation into the accident is ongoing.
According to Arin Khodaverdian, the Managing Partner and CEO Alpine Law Group, a separate investigation by an experienced attorney is necessary to clearly uncover the circumstances surrounding the collision. “An attorney will also help the victim to navigate all the legal processes in pursuit of fair compensation and justice. Car accident claims are rarely straightforward, and, regardless of the circumstances involved, liable insurance companies will often do everything possible to limit their out-of-pocket expenses by either devaluing or outright denying your claim. It is crucial, therefore, that you have an experienced attorney on your side,” said Arin.
Nobody is ever prepared for an accident. However, knowing what to do in case you are involved in the accident is very crucial. The following steps will help you ensure your safety and the safety of others.
- Stay at the scene and don’t panic.
- Check for injuries and immediately call for an ambulance if anyone is hurt.
- Notify the police even if no one is injured. The police will examine the scene and document the accident. At this point, it is important to record accurate information. You can later request a police report.
- If the accident is minor, it is advisable to move the vehicles to the shoulder and turn on your vehicle's hazard lights to ensure the safety of other motorists.
- Gather information about the other drivers involved in the accident. Also, talk to witnesses and get their information.
- If possible, take photos of the damage to your car and the surrounding area.
- Do not admit fault or discuss the accident with anyone. Do not sign any papers unless requested by the police.
- Do not leave the accident scene until the police have left.
After leaving the accident scene,
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Get a copy of the accident report from the police.
- Get a property damage valuation.
- If you were injured in the accident, keep detailed notes of your injuries and track your medical treatment.
- Contact a reputable personal injury attorney to protect your rights.
- Seek legal advice before you contact your insurer to discuss your car accident claim and compensation for your personal injuries. A qualified attorney will help you recover the maximum amount of damages.