Raul Hernandez ID’d as Man Killed in Menifee Motorcycle Accident on Highway 74 at 3rd Street
Menifee, California (February 24, 2020) - The Riverside County Sheriff Coroner's Bureau has identified the man who was killed Sunday afternoon in a traffic accident in Menifee as Raul Hernandez, 22, of Winchester.
The deadly crash happened just after 3:00 p.m. Sunday, February 23 in the 27000 block of state Route 74 at 3rd Street.
Authorities said Hernandez was riding his motorcycle westbound on Highway 74 when he collided head-on with an eastbound passenger van whose driver turned left onto 3rd Street in front of the bike.
Hernandez was pronounced dead at the scene.
Alcohol or drugs were not considered a factor in the accident.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
What to Do At the Accident Scene
Nobody is ever prepared for an accident. However, knowing what to do in case you are involved in the accident is very crucial. The following steps will help you ensure your safety and the safety of others.
- Stay at the scene and don’t panic.
- Check for injuries and immediately call for an ambulance if anyone is hurt.
- Notify the police even if no one is injured. The police will examine the scene and document the accident. At this point, it is important to record accurate information. You can later request a police report.
- If the accident is minor, it is advisable to move the vehicles to the shoulder and turn on your vehicle's hazard lights to ensure the safety of other motorists.
- Gather information about the other drivers involved in the accident. Also, talk to witnesses and get their information.
- If possible, take photos of the damage to your car and the surrounding area.
- Do not admit fault or discuss the accident with anyone. Do not sign any papers unless requested by the police.
- Do not leave the accident scene until the police have left.
After leaving the accident scene,
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Get a copy of the accident report from the police.
- Get a property damage valuation.
- If you were injured in the accident, keep detailed notes of your injuries and track your medical treatment.
- Contact a reputable personal injury attorney to protect your rights.
- Seek legal advice before you contact your insurer to discuss your car accident claim and compensation for your personal injuries. A qualified attorney will help you recover the maximum amount of damages.
“Far too many motorcycle accidents are caused by the carelessness or recklessness of other motorists. Sadly, when this occurs, motorcyclists are the ones who tend to suffer the vast majority of injuries”, according to Arin Khodaverdian, Managing Partner and CEO Alpine Law Group. Under California’s rule of comparative negligence, a victim may be able to collect compensation for injuries and other damages even if you were partly at fault for the accident.