Man Killed, Teenager Injured in Yuba-Sutter Car Accident on Highway 99 near Knights Road
Yuba-Sutter, California (February 22, 2020) – A man was killed and another was injured Friday evening in a head-on collision in the Yuba-Sutter area, according to California Highway Patrol report.
The deadly crash took place shortly before 7:00 p.m. on Highway 99, just south of Knights Road.
As per the CHP report, a 67-year-old Yuba City man was driving his vehicle northbound on Highway 99 at approximately 60 mph when he drifted into the southbound lanes to overtake another vehicle and collided head-on with a southbound vehicle driven by Amber Calonder, 18, of Knights Landing.
The Yuba City man was transported to a hospital, where he later succumbed to his injuries. His name has not been disclosed pending notification of family.
Calonder sustained moderate injuries in the crash.
Alcohol or drugs were not considered a factor in the crash.
The accident remains under investigation by the CHP.
What to Do at the Accident Scene after Crash
- Always remain at the scene, relax and don’t panic.
- Check if you, your passengers or any other party have injuries and then call an ambulance.
- Call the police to document the incident
- Take photos of the crash scene
- If involved in a minor crash, move the car to the side of the roadway and turn on its hazard lights
- Collect details regarding the accident from the witnesses
- Don’t sign any documents unless it is from the authorities
- Wait for the police to arrive before you can leave the accident scene
What to Do After Leaving the Accident Scene
- Contact your insurance company and inform them about the crash
- Collect a police report
- Keep records of your physical injuries and mental condition
- Get a property damage evaluation
- Before providing any statements to the other motorist or his or her insurance company, seek a personal injury attorney to advise you legally and protect your rights
According to Arin Khodaverdian, the Managing Partner and CEO Alpine Law Group, a separate investigation by an experienced attorney is necessary so as clearly uncover the circumstances surrounding the collision. “An attorney will also help the victim to navigate all the legal processes in pursuit of fair compensation and justice. Car accident claims are rarely straightforward, and, regardless of the circumstances involved, liable insurance companies will often do everything possible to limit their out-of-pocket expenses by either devaluing or outright denying your claim. It is crucial, therefore, that you have an experienced attorney on your side,” said Arin.